Thursday, January 3, 2008

Serendipity




Occasionally you get lucky. Today I was in a strange city looking for something entirely different when I stumbled across a museum I had never heard of before. I was driving by it when I noticed several contemporary sculptures buried in the snow on the front lawn. I flipped the car around and into the parking lot. The place looked more like an abandoned schoolhouse than a museum. I would later find out that this is exactly what it was prior to its rescue. I popped my head in the door and asked if they were open. The woman responded that I was a half an hour early but she couldn't see why I couldn't be let in. BONUS POINT museum. The place was out of this world. I could go on about all the exhibits but the one that struck me the most was by a woman named Ana Maria Pacheco. A Brazilian sculptor, painter who is based in London. The piece that was being exhibited was called "Dark Night of the Soul" which is based on The Martyrdom of Saint Sebastian. Unbelievable! Inside a moodily lit room stood approximately 12 enormous wooden figures whose facial expressions and gestures were as haunting as the smell of old burned wood. You are encouraged to walk between all the figures and to stare into their expressive faces. It is as if you are witnessing the moments immediately following the terrible act and that all of these figures have played some prominent role in the exercise. I could never give the piece any justice so check it out yourselves. http://www.anamariapacheco.co.uk/
yeah, some times you get lucky.

No comments: