Friday, November 9, 2007

Go Speed Racer...Go!!

A few weeks ago I was building a deck on this old couples house a few towns over. While digging a hole I uncovered an old mud covered Match-Box car that looked strangely familiar. Cleaning it off with the garden hose I was stunned to find that it was the original "Mach-V" driven by that "Demon on wheels" Speed Racer himself! To me this was/is the Holy Grail of all the toys ever manufactured. In the early seventies you could take your "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" and Light Brites and shove them up your ass. But give me the Mach-V and a pile of dirt and the world became a fantasy land of evil assassins and narrow escapes. Every kid in the world wanted to be Speed Racer (except for the neckerchief). We watched that cartoon with fanatic enthusiasm. Merely listening to the opening music often caused epileptic seizures of delight. Even though we've traveled around the sun many more times than I would like to admit and responsibilities often dictate a jettisoning of childish nostalgia I will always keep a pile of dirt in the back yard specifically for the Mach-V. And if you try and take it from me I'll bite your damned leg.

No comments: